The Sutton on Hull cricket Club was formed prior to 1872 when W.G.Grace was in his prime and when the game was played with 22 per side and being a special village social event. The pitch was in a field east of St. James's Church known as Church Mount and very little is known of this period but a photograph remains today of the annual cricket match V the twenty two in 1893.
The Club continued on after the 1st World War the centre based on Church Mount close to the Duke of York Pub which must have been a focus for after game chatter. The Club had new facilities between the Wars the newly built Barbara Robson playing fields along side the Hull to Hornsea railway line. The sides travelled to away games on bikes and cricket was played against local Hull sides and village sides such as Cowden, Swine, Wawne, Hatfield, Hedon and Catwick. I am sure the side must have travelled on the train when necessary.
The Club was very strong after the 2nd World War and the local village lads played a big part in the history of the Sutton Cricket Club when they made the bold decision to split from the football team and seek out their own playing arena. Doctor Cummings had a field used for grazing sheep at the rear of Netherhall and he offered to lease this to the Club for £25.00 per year. This proved a massive project for the members at the time and the players of today owe so much to the foresight of these cricketers. The ground came to fruition after 3 or 4 years of hard toil, plant and machinery, joiners and helpers of all sorts created an excellent setting to play cricket. The famous tale of the time was the building of the Cricket Pavilion, the laying of the square and the removal of an enormous oak tree right where the square exists today, the hole in the field was a sight to see. Sheep kept the outfield in trim and what a joy was the approach to the ground through the scenic grounds of Netherhall. The changing rooms and tea rooms where officially opened by Norman Yardley of Yorkshire and England and the whole village turned out for this proud day in the club's history.
In 1963 the Club purchased the ground outright for £450 and are still the proud owners of the site. An additional Clubhouse has been located on the site after some hard work throughout the 1960's.This building was opened with Sutton playing a side from East Yorkshire and photo's exist today. The members have worked hard to maintain these facilities and still flourish today after such a long and traditional history.
Many hundreds of people have been involved over the years and below are just a few who have added to history of the Club:
Names from before the 1st World War include Latimer and James Calvert the Blacksmith's and Hakeney and Rodmell. The 1930's side was full of village people and the bold people from the 1950's included Blanshard, Sewell, Harrison, Blagg, Found, Baldwin, Buxton. The ground has been maintained by the Blagg brothers, Thompson, Williams, and since 2000 the Club has been very organised under club captain Burden, Chairman Taylor, and under Ashdown and Petfield, youth development is well under way.
In 1935 J.H.Blagg took 10 for 17 (still a club record) and the 1st ever century by a Club member came in 1963 the Reverend Hawthorn scoring 100 notout, the members celebrated in the Duke of York and it was mentioned in his sermon the next day. The 1st century by a second team player was D.Buxton.
In the England World Cup year 1966 Buzza scored the highest ever individual score 138 at Hornsea.
Mike Bore played as a teenager at Sutton and went on to play first class cricket for Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire.
League Championships came in 1983, 2003 and 2002 for the 2nd X1.
The Club has had so many voluntary helpers Buckton, Curtis, Thacker, Heckford and Buxton are just a few who have given their time and the Blagg brothers have continued on from their father and grandfather.